NAME: Catherine Untalan
DATE OF BIRTH: August 8
HOMETOWN: Mandaluyong City
- Graduate Studies: University of the Philippines Open University, Los Baños, Laguna: Masters in Environment and Natural Resource Management, Coastal Track (2009-Present)
- Graduate Studies: University of the Philippines Open University, Los Baños, Laguna: Diploma in Environment and Natural Resource Management (2007-2009)
- Undergraduate Studies: University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City: Bachelor of Arts, Major in Psychology (2006; graduated Cum Laude)
- Secondary Education: St. Paul College of Parañaque, Parañaque City (2002)
- Was awarded a scholarship by the US Government to take part in its International Visitors Leadership Training Program on Sustainable Urban Development conducted in Washington D.C., Atlanta GA, Detroit MI and San Francisco CA on August 21-September 11, 2010.
- Crowned Miss Philippines-Earth in 2006 and represented the Philippines in the Miss Earth (International) pageant in 2006 and won Miss Earth-Water among 82 countries.
- Was appointed spokesperson of the Biofuels for Life Campaign of the Sustainable Energy Development Program of USAID, Anti-Tobacco Smoking Campaign of the Department of Health and Human Nature Ambassador of Organic Products and most recently, World Fairtrade Organization Asia.
- Co-authored a book entitled “Bakawan" in collaboration with Adarna Publishing House and Ronald McDonald House of Charities. This is the 33rd big book of Adarna and it is part of the Bright Minds Read Program of the Department of Education all over the Philippines.
- Produced and marketed Project Noel, a short film on the environment awarded the Special Jury Prize by the Department of Education.
- Co-hosted two government TV shows (Channel 4) on current affairs, occasional panelist in Boy Abunda’s The Bottomline and maintained a column entitled GreeNiche at a green magazine, Gen G.
- Launched the “I Love My Planet Earth School and Community Tours" which has been the biggest program of the Miss Earth Foundation since its inception in 2004. To date, the project has gone all over the country, from Luzon to Mindanao and even to other countries such as Singapore, Indonesia and Vietnam.
- Organized the Miss Earth Foundation and Inquirer-Read Along Sessions in partnership with the Philippine Daily Inquirer focusing on environmental stories.
- Initiated and organized activities such as Earth Day Pollution Free Motorcade and Miss Earth Eco-Fashion Design Competition which ran for two years.
- Initiated functional partnerships with various organizations such as ABS-CBN Foundation, Earthday Network, Greenpeace Southeast Asia, World Wildlife Fund, Gawad kalinga, Firefly Brigade, Human Heart Nature, KILUS Foundation, Haribon Foundation, the academe and LGUs.
After representing the Philippines in a training abroad and the Miss Earth beauty pageant, Cathy wants to stand for the Filipino youth in the upcoming climate change negotiations on November in Durban, South Africa.
She believes that people are now aware but choose not to care about the environment. Through this gathering of like minds and heart, Cathy hopes to learn from and share with the rest of the world what can be don to save what is left of Mother Earth.