NAME: Monica Ortiz
DATE OF BIRTH: September 21, 1987
HOMETOWN: Quezon City
- Graduate Studies: University of Copenhagen, Denmark and University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria: Master of Science in Environmental Science, Water Resources and Climate Change (2010-present)
- Undergraduate Studies: University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, USA: Bachelor of Science in Biology, Minor in Chemistry; Comparative Literature (2009)
- Secondary Education: Philippine Science High School, Diliman, Quezon City (2005)
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
- "Climate Change and its Impacts on Water Supply" Training Course (funded by the European Union in Thessaloniki, Greece)
- "9 Billion People in 2050: How Can Agriculture Stand Up to the Challenge?" (student forum on the issue of food security in a changing environment and large global population in Vienna, Austria)
- Intern, the office of the Philippine Senator Loren Legarda (legislative team; speechwriting, drafting press releases and resolutions)
- Intern, Manila Observatory, Dr. Gemma Narisma, Ateneo de Manila University (collecting research data for Masters thesis on Crop Production and Climate Change)
- Student Assistant, University of Copenhagen (assisting in Environmental Management course)
- Naturalist Intern, National Audubon Society (Environmental Educator for children and adults; organic farm experience)
- Neotropical Ecology Field Course (3-week field biodiversity and ecology study in different ecosystems in Ecuador)
Mon is a proud Pinay who is a graduate student in Europe on an Erasmus scholarship. She is passionate about environmental science, particularly climate change, water resources, biodiversity and ecology, agriculture and environmental education.
She hopes to go to the COY and COP-17 to put her studies into practice, and learn, learn, learn all she can so that she can take the knowledge back to the Philippines where she hopes to be a leader in the science of climate change adaptation and mitigation in the country.